100,000 tonnes/year refinery for refining used lubricating oil
Reconstruction of a new and larger refinery for Avista Oil at Kalundborg Habour, where the former refinery burned down in 2017.
Avista Oil collects used lubricating oil from the entire coastal part of Western Europe and sails it to Kalundborg, from where it is refined at the plant along with the quantatives collected in Denmark.
Process Engineering has acted as the developer with responsibility for the process, construction and electricity. We have handled project management and the entire basic and detailed engineering, technical and commercial procurement assistance, as well as construction and commissioning supervision.
The project started with a workshop at Avista Oil’s refinery near Hannover in Germany from where we were given an introduction to Avista Oil’s design principles.
Basic and detailed engineering were performed from the office in Copenhagen with up to 25 employees working on the project at the peak time and with participation of a couple of the client’s specialists as an integrated part of the project team.
At the beginning of the construction phase we established a local office on site with up to 15 engineers and technicians at the peak time.
Service and scope of the project
Our service and the scope of the project include:
- Project management
- Engineering, such as mechanical, electrical and civil (basic and detailed engineering)
- Risk assessments such as HAZOP
- Assistance to the client in managing the insurance company
- Preparation of a fire strategy and establishment of input of construction permission
- Procurement assistance (technical and commercial)
- Preparation of tender material concerning delivery of components and pipe contracts
- Execution of bidding rounds
- Recommendations for choice of supplier
- Site management and supervision of the contractor’s work in the construction phase